Friday, July 22, 2011

Thank Goodness It's Friday!

I woke up yesterday morning and my first thought was one probably shared by many hard working people all over the world, including many of you--"thank goodness it's Friday!" But unlike my working days of years past, it was not an expression of relief that the work week was over and the alarm clock would not be ringing come 6am! Yes... I too look forward to sleeping in on Saturday, sipping a leisurely cappuccino at the weekend crafts market, and taking an afternoon walk on the Durban beachfront. But far more important than marking the end of the work week, Friday at McCord is a day I eagerly anticipate --a guaranteed high on the emotional roller coaster ride that characterizes a typical week here in South Africa. Friday, for me, is "baby cap day"--the chance to pass out hand knit baby caps to all of the newborns who attend the ante-natal clinic for their one week and six week check up, and it is truly one of the highlights of my visit each year.

As many of you know, for the last five years a wonderful woman named Karen Greene has been busy knitting hand made caps for the newborn babies of Durban. She started knitting more than 5 years ago, following the loss of her mother. During the week she sat Shivah in her mother's home, she and other family members took all the left over yarn down from her mother's closet and knit dozens of caps for newborn babies in South Africa, while they recalled wonderful stories about the grandmother that had taught them this special craft. It is a story I love to share, as I feel it so poignantly symbolizes the cycle of life, and demonstrates the capacity that each of us has to make a difference. Karen has been knitting for these children ever since...sending off a small package to me every month or two, each with another installment of adorable hats. She is prolific as she is creative, and has brought warmth to the babies, not to mention joy and smiles to their families!

Of course, when it comes to a celebration of hats, most Durbanites would think first of Durban July, a giant costume party with some of the biggest, zaniest and most elaborate hats every seen! But let me assure you, they are total amateurs! They don't know what a real hat party is until they visit McCord Hospital on a Friday morning to see these babies in their first hand made gift, knit with love from America!! It is a sight guaranteed to make you smile,and the funky, fuzzy yarn has become Karen's trademark hat, and is a favorite amongst the junior set in Durban!



This year the party was bigger and better than ever, thanks to the generosity and creativity of some amazing people from the Pepsi Bottling Company, in Somers, NY, who were inspired by Karen's story. Led by the efforts of Rosana Goni and Anita Borgenich who organized an office based knitting campaign for the Gift of Hope, more than 40 women (and a few men too!) knit close to 250 baby caps for the children of South Africa. At the conclusion of the campaign they welcomed me in for a special ceremony, where I was also given a $1,500 donation to the Gift of Hope. The generosity and spirit of service demonstrated at Pepsi is really amazing and I can't thank them enough for their incredibly generous support. Adding their creative output to Karen's, has provided a stock of caps which are sure to adorn the heads of McCord babies for months and months to come.



Many of the Pepsi participants were first time knitters and the creations they came up with were incredible. The colors, patterns, and details were limited only by their imagination, and each had a hand signed message on a small note card attached by string --a lovely personal touch. Although you can see from the photos that not ALL the babies were happy with their new gifts, and a few appeared to be a bit bewildered, most were happy to oblige my
picture taking, and the parents certainly marveled at how adorable their newborns looked.

At one point, as I approached a young mother with my bag of caps, we were suddenly surrounded by a group of young McCord nurses, who each had an opinion about their favorite one for her to choose. After the mom made her selection and I took a photo, one of the nurses said, "my turn, my turn.....I want to have my picture taken with the baby!" Everyone seemed to want to get in on the action.....even this adorable cousin, who swore he was the big brother (despite what the parents told me), and insisted on selecting the hat for his baby "sister" and then posing for the photo with her!




Yes, Friday was a terrific day....more than just the end of the work week, but also a celebration of new life and the generosity of some very special people from home, whose loving hands have knit warmth and love into the lives of South African families! I thank you for the joy you have given to them, and to me!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE these photos and blog. Thanks for sharing all of these!

    ReplyDelete